Friday, January 15, 2010

As a Child ...

My dear friend Annie shared this, elsewhere:

Mature virtue is perfected in the spirit of childhood … To be virile in the practice of virtue is always to advance along the right way and to return to the spirit of childhood. ~ Lao-Tse

(Christ, Jesus) never judges or condemns us. If we should err, he is the first to say: `Father forgive them, these thy children. They know not what they do.' …approach God with humility and trust, as a child would go to his mother. ~ Daya Mata

And Jesus called a little child to him, set him in the midst of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. ~ Matthew 18.2-4


Here is my response ... which seemed to just pour out of me (& feel free to add to this, as you're inspired):


To me, "as a child" means to be honest about what I don't know ... to say, "I do not know all things, and yet I trust God anyway."

"As a child" means coming to God, and to all people, without an agenda ... wanting, as a child does, to make a friend, to hear the stories of the other, and to share our own story freely with others.

"As a child" means that I don't pretend to be what I'm not, though I may use God's gift of imagination to explore all of who I really am.

"As a child" means that I speak my truth ... I don't posture, manipulate, or seek to control others.

"As a child" means that I value experience over mere words ... experience over theories.

"As a child" means that I do not dampen my enthusiasm and passion for the sake of "propriety."

"As a child" means that I believe in the "magic" that lies beyond appearances ... that I know that there's "more than meets the eye."

"As a child" means that I am aware that I am vulnerable ... but I trust that all things work out for my good anyway.

"As a child" means that I live fully in the moment-at-hand, aware that "now" is all that is. I do not live in the regrets of the past, nor the anxiety of the fear-projected future. I fully relish the only moment in which I *can* live: NOW.

"As a child" means that I relentlessly, even stubbornly, cling to the notion of "happily ever after." For I know and trust the One who writes the Story.

"As a child" means that I will not be happy unless everyone I love (& I love everyone) makes it to the Party.

"As a child" means that I know, really know, that the things unseen are as real, and even more real, than the things seen.

"As a child" means that I am not sullied by cynicism and despair. I live in the full expectation of all that gives me hope. For I know Who has given me this living hope.

"As a child" means that I can find the good in everything. Even if it means I have to squint really hard, turn my head to the side a bit, and look very, very deeply into whatever is appearing.

"As a child" means that I fully trust my Daddy to take care of all the imagined monsters in the closet of my mind. Because He has already shown me that many of those monsters are just dust-bunnies and shadows.

"As a child" means that I have a connection to my innate sense of justice ... knowing that it's just not right for some to be helped, while others are harmed.

"As a child" means that I dare to run headlong into the lap of my Father, and snuggle in closely, not worried about what others think of my daring, for I know where I most belong.

"As a child" means that I accept myself as I am ... it means being fascinated, rather than repulsed or frightened, by things which appear to be different.

"As a child" means that when I fall down, I can laugh, get up, and be willing to try again, and even to fall again.

"As a child" means that I like what I see when I look in the mirror. It means seeing myself as my Daddy sees me, and smiling. A lot.

"As a child" means seeing life as a grand adventure ... and knowing that I am an invaluable part of the story ... knowing that I am to play the part of a hero ... and knowing that Good always wins.

Shalom, Dena

1 comment:

cwtpmom said...

Here is a collection of verses about children:
As a child

My favorite Mormon verse about children is the following. Be sure to catch the last phrase, "even as a child submits to his father", because that tells us a lot about our role as parents, and also God's love and reason for inflicting His children with experience and consequence the way He does..

For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

What of all your points is not mentioned in this one verse?