Saturday, April 10, 2010

Labels, Schmabels...!

"Don't seek the truth; just drop your opinions."
(some old, and likely dead, Zen master)


Really, we can drop our theories now. Truth isn't something we search for ... it just is. And if we stop being opinionated, so infatuated with what we think we know, truth finds us. If we drop the labels, we run smack-dab into truth.

So, what's a label? Anything other than "human being."

What do you call others? Man, woman, child, idiot, beurocrat, infidel, heretic, Presbyterian, friend, lawyer, enemy...? Maybe you're aware of this ... maybe you see that you put labels on others.

And are you aware that you put labels on yourself?

What do you say, to yourself, following these words: "I am ..."?

I am what? What do you say to yourself? How are you labeling yourself?

Here are some of my own, from the past (that which was previously perceived as true, but that which I now know to be lies):

I am a failure. I am an imposter. I am a liar. I am depraved. I am inferior. I am overlooked. I am less-than. I am overbearing. I am an embarassment. I am worthless.

Yeah, it was a dark and hopeless world I once lived in ...

And now, here are some of the things that follow my "I am's" ~

I am happy. I am alive. I am irrepressible. I am curious. I am kind. I am enthusiastic. I am vibrant. I am valuable. I am valued. I am gifted. I am intense. I am awakening. I am loved. I am mySelf.

Do you see the power of those words, "I am"...? What follows becomes your reality.

So, tune in to your out-loud and inner-whispered self-talk ... what are you saying about yourself? Are you seeing who you really are, or are you choking yourself with labels?

Labels, schmabels...!

You really can drop your theories, now.

Shalom, Dena

4 comments:

Harry Riley said...

We become what we think, and that's true whether it's the mind leading, or the mind in service of the true self. We are SO powerful that we can create reality simply by thinking it so.

But in the end, being made in the image of the I AM, we are Truth expressed uniquely, infinitely. Let's just...Be That:)

Anthony de Mello sums you up, Dena -

"Some people write to make a living; others to share their insights or raise questions that will haunt their readers; others yet to understand their very souls. None of these will last. That distinction belongs to those who write only because if they did not write they would burst... These writers give expression to the divine — no matter what they write about."

marianne said...

Wow....I just agree with MysicBrit..:-)

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Yeah, what MysticBrit said!!!

Great stuff!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. When our old self died with Him on that cross, we also resurrected with Him with a new identity. That new creation takes on HIS identity so we needn't look at self the same ever again.

All's grace,
~Amelia